07 January 2006

London Glassblowing


I went to see Peter Layton today with a view to collaborating on a number of writing projects to tie in with his 30th anniversary year. He gave me this book as a 'thank you' for spending the bulk of Sunday (probably) writing something for him. I'm happy to do this and I think we both felt we were going to get on well together. But, hey, a £40 book which I can get half price as his publisher is the same as mine isn't a quid pro quo. It's curious -- and I think fairly general -- that one craftsperson forgets to value what another craftsperson does appropriately. You can get wobbly writing just as you can get wobbly glass. I'm not complaining; just musing. After all, what I want from Peter is some way of being able to come and blow glass in his studio without it costing an arm and a leg. And that wouldn't be a quid pro quo for this particular project either. But the door might be opening a crack -- this is pretty much the only place in London where I could get to practise blowing. And if I'm pleased with my wobbly goblets then I should understand why non-writers are proud of their writing. Anyone can write, can't they?

No comments: