09 February 2007

Co[]ect - technical chat

Had a good chat with Steve Klein who made this kiln-formed and blown piece - meant to be landscape but this silly program has its own ideas. He was very helpful on techniques. It takes him about an hour a hole to finish the necks of the round pieces which he knocks off from the blowing iron, having picked up a kiln-fused panel. He then grooves the amber stripes on a diamond wheel and the white ones on another - using different grits, which he told me. And then he smooths the finish with a clear oil, which again he told me the name of, but it was an American brand and I thought I could try baby oil first. Or google him in Portland's Bullseye studio and ask. Very friendly. Another chap told me exactly how he partially closed up a large blown vessel at the top and then made a hole right through and opened the top out again. But I forgot to take his name or a picture.

No comments: