31 March 2007

End of term


Not that they have 'terms' as such at Farnham. But I'm off now for 3 weeks. Finished on a high, by blowing these 2 entirely solo. Non-glassmakers won't be impressed, but it is a milestone for me. You do really need an assistant to board the top of the bowl (that's why these aren't flat), to bring you a bit for the marise, to open the garage where you park the bowl and then have to pick it up with one hand if you are working alone (that's why these are off-centre), to bring you a bit for the foot (that's why these feet are a little small - though I did footboard them myself). And best of all, my supervisor congratulated me -- up to now I've rather thought he wasn't in the slightest interested in what I'm doing. Perhaps I'm wrong. It's astonishing how bucked a senior person can feel by a tiny word of praise.

No comments: