14 September 2004

First engraving

At last we’ve started to do something. After a slow, dull and disappointing start to the day in which a delightfully free Friday was re-timetabled out, I got some hands-on experience of trying the engraving wheels. It’s difficult to control and I’ll need a lot of practice. Luckily, I am not that keen on engraved glass. It’s fun to try, though I am alarmed by all the accident potential. My first taste of machinery was on the excitingly-named linisher – to smooth the edges of a cut sheet.

This was an illicit gatecrash into a parallel group’s class doing what we will be doing on Friday afternoon, because I am trying to find ways of clawing back a 3-day weekend. Our (excellent) design class triggered all sorts of ideas that I need my own space for. I could spend one day at home doing preparation work. Looking forward to this bit.