11 September 2004

My interest in glass

Our first assignment is to write about our interest in glass. So I am posting what I said right here.

I have been modestly buying drinking glasses of all kinds. My particular passion is for 18th century opaque twists, roughly between 1740 and 1777 - though I can't afford to buy them any more. I like their purity of form; I'm not too keen on engraved glass, though I expect I shall change my mind as I learn to do it and look more closely. I also rather dislike 'art' glass: I found about 80% of the work at the biennale aesthetically unappealing. Will I change my mind about that too as I discover how knowledge of techniques impacts on design?
glassesI have done pencil drawings of my 18th century twists, but it is impossible to capture their quality. These watercolours were for a Christmas card puzzle I made a few years ago. I should love to learn to make some modest form of a twist, though I can see already that the control and experience would take years to learn. I hope I will discover why no one is making them now.