10 September 2004

Health & safety

I've bunked today's induction on health and safety to have a 3-day weekend at home as I needed to regroup. But I am doing a bit of research on the internet. I wonder if they are being advised to grow pots of aloe barbadensis miller as a ready supply of leaves to rub on burns. There are even more hazards to working with hot glass than are obvious when you are watching someone else do it -- not just cuts and burns, but possible damage to the lungs and eyes. I know we are getting protective glasses, but what about masks so we don't breathe in silica dust? A Health and Safety Executive document tells me that 41% of all injuries in the glass industry are caused by handling (however they define that). I feel some anxiety about my current back injury: glass is heavy stuff. And I think I've got the wrong kind of clothing -- my floaty garments are a bit hazardous and natural fibres are safer, plus I need more solid shoes.