03 September 2004

Steps in the dark

JaneI am packed, and ready to go up to Brierley Hill (part of Dudley College) in the Midlands for a full-time course in the Techniques and Technology of Glass at the International Glass Centre. It starts on Monday. I'll be learning glass blowing, enamelling, stained glass, painting, engraving and I don't know what else. It's going back to a previous me -- the artistic side -- that I have not fully explored and I feel time is running short. It isn't as huge a leap into the dark as it might sound -- I have been thinking a lot about 'glass pages' and about interactivitiy and creativity. In the back of my mind are some connections between writing, glass and technology that I want to think about. I am fortunate to get an EU-funded place, but if this goes anywhere further I shall be looking out for some sort of grant or residency.

Am I scared -- oh yes! But looking forward to a new challenge.