01 March 2006

Visiting Katharine Coleman

I went to tea with Katharine Coleman in her workshop yesterday to have a chat about my article for the Guild of Glass Engravers, acquiring a lathe, photographing glass, and other things. She said something I've since been turning over in my mind about what an engraved object is for; what does it say? What is the engraving adding that makes a meaningful statement. Traditionally, it's had a commemorative purpose, as I had in mind in my 7 July bowl, but that doesn't move us very far towards the 21st century. I am remembering now that my award at Brierley was for cold glass decoration, but what do we now take that word to mean?

Later in the day, Franky came round with a hugely improved version of my Cinderella plate. What I learned from him was that the art of touching up in PhotoShop is not to be eschewed.

No comments: