27 June 2007

Can't complain


It's true there's a funny atmosphere in the college, but I have had plenty of attention this week. Here are the glass tutor and the technician helping me with my exhibition pieces. The large plate we are spinning out at the top was looking really smashing - but smash is what it did. It's cracked inthe glory-hole. You just have to not mind and start again. But the logistics of this idea are looking impractical. Make a mould for each pate de verre bowl; 4 out of 5 of those coming out successful; and so far 1 out of 5 of the bowls picked up on a bubble have been successful, and even that one is 'on the way' rather than securely arrived. But I still think I will get there. It's a learning process.
And earlier in the week I had a really helpful tutorial with the ceramics artist-in-residence who was absolutely on my wavelength and was very encouraging about allowing intuition and serendipity to play their part. Something about why I like a level of design ambiguity could be my Research Question.

No comments: