02 November 2007

The Artist's Statement

The MA 'taught' unit this semester is Theoretical Discourse, which I have been dreading since Day 1. I do not agree that 'without critical discourse your work is merely a hobby' (lecture no. 2). There are other forms of academic rigour beside taking the stance of a philosopher, politician or historian. So I am a bit kicking and screaming on this one.

A little exchange between myself and artist bookbinder Sarah Brown who made the piece pictured, entitled 84 Hours.

Me: Can I use your artist's statement for my MA essay because it adds a political dimension that the image, all on its own, does not convey.

SB: Certainly. Although I put a great deal of emphasis onto the craft skills, the most important part of my work is the idea. It is the statement, in my opinion, which moves it from being a craft piece to being a piece of art.

Me: But sometimes I feel it can become an alibi for the absences a viewer finds in a piece of work - hobbling the viewer's own uncluttered responses.

SB: Maybe it is more about the narrative of the piece. I find it interesting to read about the conception of a piece and its development, as opposed to what I am supposed to find in it.

I invite comments.

No comments: