17 March 2009

Very nearly 100% success

I have found my blower at last. Just as I was beginning to lose confidence in my idea because of the fall-out rate and the difficulties inherent in the technique, I spent a day in Cornwall with a team who approached it differently. I've come away with some rondels I really like - and only one of them went a bit wrong (warped in the lehr), but even that one is OK compared to the last 10 or so made in various hotshops. And Cornwall is very pretty, the sun shone, and I had a very pleasant jaunt (I needed to be there the day before to prepare and the day after to collect). I'm not saying the other hotshops I have tried can't do this too, but the real bonus is that we were using lead glass, not soda, and it is just much nicer - twice the price too, a long drive, but certainly worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news Jane and doesn't it all add to the drama of the story behind the piece!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the lead glass also works better with the pate de verre?

I've never worked with it myself, but know people who have across the street at the Steuben factory. They say it's very different to handle.